Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
The best chefs know that one of the secrets to getting a recipe right is all about mixing ingredients together in the correct quantities.
And what’s the most accurate way to achieve this? By weighing ingredients out with the best food scale — it’s an absolute must have for any kitchen!
Needless to say, as bread makers, we depend hugely on our digital food scale, so it’s super important that we own the best on the market to guarantee accuracy and delicious loaves.
We’ve been testing different food scales for a while now and so decided to round up our favorite models to help you decide which is best for you.
Here’s a sneak peek at our three favorites:
|Max Weight||11 lbs||11 lbs||11 lbs|
|Gradation||1 gram||1 gram||1 gram|
Let’s take it away…
- 1 What is a Digital Food Scale?
- 2 What Makes the Best Food Scale?
- 3 How to Calibrate Scales
- 4 Best Food Scales
- 4.1 Etekcity Digital Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale
- 4.2 Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale
- 4.3 Greater Goods Nourish Digital Kitchen Food Scale
- 4.4 INEVIFIT Digital Kitchen Scale
- 4.5 Etekcity Digital Food Scale and Multifunction Kitchen Weight Scale
- 4.6 AccuWeight Digital Kitchen Multifunction Food Scale
- 4.7 OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale
- 4.8 Etekcity Digital Touch Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale
- 4.9 Escali P115C Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale
- 4.10 My Weigh KD-7000 Digital Stainless-Steel Food Scale
What is a Digital Food Scale?
Gone are the days of inaccurate mechanical scales and measuring cups — digital food scales make weighing ingredients effortless and can measure even the lightest of weights with precision.
Food scales are also excellent when it comes to cooking and baking by ratio, can help you to divide food up into even portions, and aid dieters and the health conscious to be aware of food portion sizes.
Not only that, but the best food scales can display weights in kilograms, milliliters, plus pounds and ounces, and can be used to automatically convert from one weight to another — super easy!
How to Use a Food Scale
Ingredients are simply placed onto the flat tray of the scale — either in a bowl or other receptacle or directly onto the flat surface of the tray.
This flat tray is mechanically designed to distribute their weight evenly to a bar or collection of bars which bend very very slightly under the pressure.
These bars are connected to an electrical element called a strain gauge that also flexes very very slightly when weight is applied to the scale.
The strain gauge converts the force of the deformation caused by flexion into an electrical signal, which passes through a microchip that uses a calculation to translate the data, and sending it to an LCD screen where it is displayed as digital figures indicating the precise weight of the object on the scale.
What Makes the Best Food Scale?
The best food scale will boast the following features…
- Very accurate weight measurement
- Large weighing tray / platform to handle big bowls and large or long food items
- A tare function which resets the scale to zero after you put a weight on it. This is useful when measuring ingredients in a container that isn’t part of the scale, and for adding multiple ingredients into the same container and measuring their individual weights
- Good weight capacity which is capable of weighing anything from 0.5 grams all the way up to at least 11 lbs
- Clear, bright and easily readable LCD display
- Automatic shut off function to prevent batteries from draining should you forget to turn off the scales
- Compact design that is lightweight and easy to store
- Accessories such as removable bowls and trays
- Easy to keep clean
Signs of a Bad Food Scale
Sometimes scales aren’t everything they are supposed to be. Here are some things to avoid when shopping for a digital food scale…
- Inaccuracy — by far the most crucial aspect of any food scale is that it is capable of weighing ingredients accurately and is sensitive enough to pick up on very light weights as well as heavier ones
- Too many nooks and crannies — or other things that make the scale difficult to keep clean
- Lack of a calibration feature – for when the scale needs a little tuning. Without this you’ll have to go out and buy a new scale
- Inconvenient size — either too big and heavy and taking up way too much room, or too small to suit your needs
- Poor LCD display. The last thing you need is to be straining your eyes trying to read a cloudy digital display when you’re trying to precisely dose flour into a bowl
How to Calibrate Scales
A good digital food weight scale will come with its own calibration function for when you suspect that its accuracy is a little off.
Each device is different, and it’s necessary to follow the calibration directions in the instruction manual.
Here’s a general guide to how to calibrate your digital food scale…
- Place the scale on a flat, level surface
- Switch on the scale
- Using the instruction manual find the calibration button
- Press the calibration button until the LCD display registers a change
- Place a known weight on the scale to calibrate it — a new penny should weigh exactly 2.5 grams, and a nickel exactly 5 grams
- Wait until the LCD display informs you that the calibration is complete before turning off or moving the scale
Best Food Scales
The sleek, rectangular design of the Etekcity Digital Kitchen Scale is both attractive and practical.
The stainless steel finish resists mucky fingerprints, and its flat surface means it is easy to use it with almost any size or shape container.
4 sensors beneath the weighing platform assure precise weight readings within a range of between 1 gram and 11 lbs.
It features a tare function, automatic shut off after 2 minutes of inactivity, a bright and clear backlit LCD screen, and a low battery indicator
- Super easy to keep clean
- Slim profile makes it easy to store
- Measures in multiple units
- Easy to read digital display
- Attractive design
- Comes with 1 year warranty
- Less accurate with weights below 3 grams
- Backlight turns itself off too quickly making it sometimes difficult to read screen
Capable of weighing ingredients with a weight as little as 0.5 grams all the way up to just over 11 lbs in 5 different units of measurement, Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale has a snazzy design available in a range of 7 different colors to suit your style.
Weights are displayed on the clear and convenient LCD screen which is easy to read thanks to the elevated weighing platform which allows for an unobstructed view.
This kitchen food scale also boasts a tare function, and can effortlessly takes care of weight conversions at the press of a button.
This food scale will also power down automatically after 2 minutes of inactivity — saving you precious battery power.
- Comes in a range of colors
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Small footprint
- Provides consistently accurate results
- Rubber feet means the it stays put on the counter top
- Provides weights in a wide range of units
- Long battery life
- Easy to clean
- Can be a little slow at measuring weights
- LCD display is not back lit
More than just a mere food weight scale, the Greater Goods Nourish Digital Kitchen Food Scale benefits from an amazing nutritional facts display which will not only tell you how much your ingredients weigh, but also their calorie content and the amount of fats, carbs and sugars – ideal for those watching portion size and weight gain.
The sleek, silver rectangular design features a hygienic glass surface for easy cleaning and maintenance and touch sensitive buttons make the interface easy to navigate.
Capable of weighing items between 1 gram and 11 lbs in weight with results accurate up to 1 gram, this food scale also features auto calibration function, tare function, plus automatic shut off function, and can provide weight measurements in ounces, grams, and pounds.
- Good database of around 2000 food items
- Possibility to create custom nutrition entries
- Accurate and reliable
- Nutritional information is clearly displayed and easy to understand
- Excellent tool for staying on track with weight goals
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
- Sturdy, well made product
- Easy to use and maintain
- Display could be bigger and brighter and easier to read
- Buttons are sometimes a little small and fiddly
With the best weight capacity on our list so far, the Inevifit digital kitchen scale can cope with items weighing up to 13 lbs in 1 gram increments, so it’s ideal for those who need to be able to weigh larger quantities.
The minimalist design fits easily into any style of kitchen, and the large back lit LCD display can measure pounds, ounces, grams, and can also convert liquid weights into milliliters.
This digital kitchen food scale also boasts a small footprint, slim profile, a tare button, and automatic shut off feature.
- Comes with 5 year warranty
- Attractive design
- Light and easy to store
- Great for weighing larger quantities
- Bright, easily legible LCD display
- Sometimes powers off too quickly
Complete with convenient removable bowl which doubles up as a cover when not in use, the Etekcity Digital Food Scale and Multifunction Kitchen Weight Scale is the ideal kitchen companion for people who love to bake, as it can weigh in pounds, ounces and grams but also fluid ounces, with particularly accurate milk and water measurements.
A simple two button interface allows you to convert between units and use the tare function, and weights are displayed on the good sized LCD screen.
This digital kitchen scale has a weight capacity of up to 11 pounds in 1 gram increments.
- Automatic off function saves on battery life
- Easy to use
- Excellent unit conversion features
- Sensitive and precise
- Included bowl is a convenient size and shape
- Good customer service
- Great for baking
- Scale can’t be calibrated
Designed using 4 sensors to give you very accurate and high precision weight measurements in lbs, ounces, grams, milliliters, and fluid ounces, the Accuweight digital kitchen multifunction food scale has a maximum weight capacity of 11 lbs.
Featuring tare function, unit conversion, large 3.2 inch back lit LCD display, automatic shut off, and indicators for low battery and weight overload, this digital kitchen scale also has a good looking design with practical and hygienic tempered glass top which is easy to keep clean.
- Super large and bright display screen
- Convenient size and weight for storage
- Very precise
- Comes with 1 year warranty
- Capable of fluid measurements
- Glass top is easy to clean and liquid proof
Innovative and modern, the stainless steel surface of the OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale can be completely removed allowing it to be kept thoroughly clean.
Not only that, but the digital display on this machine can actually be pulled out and away from the weighing platform which means there’s no way it can be obscured when using large bowls or other overhanging containers.
The display also has an optional back light — making even clearer and easy to read even in low light levels. The tare button feature makes it possible to weigh multiple items in the same container in either grams or ounces, with a maximum weight capacity of 11 lbs.
- Ingenious, attractive design
- Clever and easy to read LCD display
- Very easy to keep clean
- Durable and well made
- Very precise
- Compact and easy to store
- Compatible with any type of plate, bowl, or other weighing container
- Only displays weights as fractions
- Quite expensive
Ideal for baking and cooking and complete with a 60 second automatic turn off function, one touch tare function, and capable of weighing both dry and liquid weights in pounds, ounces grams, milliliters and fluid ounces of up to 11 lbs, the Etekcity Digital Touch Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale is an excellent all round kitchen food scale.
An original touch is the large, circular LCD display which is super easy to read and navigate.
Made from a mixture of stainless steel and tempered glass, this is a robust and practical food scale.
- Super slim, stylish design
- Quality construction
- Straightforward to use
- Good value for money
- Great digital display
- Large, versatile weighing platform
- Automatic power save feature shuts off very quickly
With a maximum capacity of 11 lbs and brimming with features including tare button, automatic shut off function after 4 minutes of inactivity, liquid resistant LCD display, and an easy wipe clean weighing platform, the Escali P115C Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale has a lot to offer.
This digital food scale accurately measures weights in pounds, ounces and grams.
It is lightweight, and comes in an array of 9 eye popping colors to suit your decor.
Rubber feet mean that this little scale won’t slide around all over your counter top.
- Consistent and accurate
- Cute color range
- Useful for controlling portion sizes
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Spill resistant and easy to keep clean
- Easy programming uses only 2 buttons
- Made from plastic which is not terribly durable
- Cannot measure liquids
This popular digital food scale from My Weight can handle up to a whopping 15.4 lbs maximum weight, making it ideal for cooking or weighing out big batches of food – even the heaviest ingredients.
Retro in design, the My Weigh KD-7000 can weigh out dry weights in grams, kg lbs, oz, and oz:lbs. Despite its size this is a very sensitive scale, measuring in increments of 1 gram, and it can be run either on AA battery or mains power with the added feature of an automatic shut off feature to save energy.
The large blue lit LCD screen has a removable protective cover to guard against spills and other messes whilst cooking.
A removable stainless steel weighing platform makes for easy cleaning.
- Comes with a 30 year warranty
- Huge capacity
- Convenient to keep clean
- Robust reinforced plastic and stainless steel design
- Long battery life
- Can also be used with A/C adapter
- Very versatile
- Poor customer service
- Some users don’t like the plastic body
Which do you think is the best food scale?