The best chefs know that one of the secrets to getting a recipe right is all about mixing ingredients together in the correct quantities.
And what’s the most accurate way to achieve this? By weighing ingredients out with the best food scale – it’s an absolute must-have for any kitchen!
Needless to say, as bread makers, we depend hugely on our digital food scale, so it’s super important that we own the best on the market to guarantee accuracy and delicious loaves.
We’ve been testing different food scales for a while now and decided to round up our favorite models to help you decide which is best for you.
- What Is a Digital Food Scale?
- What Makes the Best Food Scale?
- Signs of a Bad Food Scale
- How to Calibrate a Food Scale
- Best Food Scale Options
- Etekcity Digital Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale
- Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale
- Greater Goods Nourish Digital Kitchen Food Scale
- INEVIFIT Digital Kitchen Scale
- Etekcity Digital Food Scale and Multifunction Kitchen Weight Scale
- AccuWeight Digital Kitchen Multifunction Food Scale
- Etekcity Digital Touch Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale
- Escali P115C Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale
- My Weigh KD-7000 Digital Stainless-Steel Food Scale
- Greater Goods Digital Pocket Scale
- Best Food Scale FAQ
What Is a Digital Food Scale?
Gone are the days of inaccurate mechanical scales and measuring cups – digital food scales make weighing ingredients effortless and can measure even the lightest of weights with precision.
Food scales are also excellent when it comes to cooking and baking by ratio, can help you divide the food up into even portions, and aid dieters and the health-conscious to be aware of food portion sizes.
Not only that, but the best food scales can display weights in kilograms, milliliters, plus pounds and ounces, and can be used to automatically convert from one weight to another – super easy!
How to Use a Food Scale
Ingredients are simply placed onto the flat tray of the scale – either in a bowl or other receptacle or directly onto the tray’s flat surface.
This flat tray is mechanically designed to distribute its weight evenly to a bar or collection of bars that bend very slightly under pressure.
These bars are connected to an electrical element called a strain gauge that flexes very slightly when weight is applied to the scale.
The strain gauge converts the force of the deformation caused by flexion into an electrical signal, which passes through a microchip that uses a calculation to translate the data and sending it to an LCD screen where it is displayed as digital figures indicating the precise weight of the object on the scale.
What Makes the Best Food Scale?
The best food scale will boast the following features…
- Very accurate weight measurement
- Large weighing tray/platform to handle big bowls and large or long food items
- A tare feature resets the scale to zero after you put a weight on it. This is useful when measuring ingredients in a container that isn’t part of the scale and for adding multiple ingredients into the same container and measuring their individual weights
- Good weight capacity, which is capable of weighing anything from 0.5 grams up to at least 11 lbs.
- Clear, bright, and easily readable LCD
- Automatic shut off function to prevent batteries from draining should you forget to turn off the scales
- Compact design that is lightweight and easy to store
- Accessories such as removable bowls and trays
- Easy to keep clean
- An automatic unit button makes conversions easier and allows you to switch between grams and pounds quickly and easily. A good food scale will have this automatic unit button to allow you to take advantage of multifunctional weighing options.
- Design and price are also considerations. A digital kitchen scale will cost more than an analog scale, but you will have more features and more precise measurements
- Auto-off duration means the device will automatically shut down after a time of inactivity, preserving the battery
- Rubber feet are convenient and can help prevent the food scale from slipping while it is being used
Signs of a Bad Food Scale
Sometimes scales aren’t everything they are supposed to be. Here are some things to avoid when shopping for a digital food scale…
- Inaccuracy – by far the most crucial aspect of any food scale is that it is capable of weighing ingredients accurately and is sensitive enough to pick up on very light weights as well as heavier ones
- Too many nooks and crannies – or other things that make the scale difficult to keep clean
- Lack of a calibration feature – for when the scale needs a little tuning. Without this, you’ll have to go out and buy a new scale
- Inconvenient size – either too big and heavy and taking up way too much room, or too small to suit your needs
- Poor LCD – The last thing you need is to be straining your eyes trying to read a cloudy digital display when you’re trying to precisely dose flour into a bowl
Some have also argued that you should avoid a food scale with smart functionality. These scales allow you to connect the scale to your mobile device via an application. However, these scales tend to be much heavier in weight and higher in price.
While a smart scale may offer additional features, it can also prove complicated to operate, especially if you are trying to take some measurements in a hurry.
Finally, some also say to stay clear of a digital scale with a glass platform. While they may be stylish, they can prove difficult to clean and are also extremely fragile. You will also find that many glass platform scales also lack a raised platform, making it harder to read the display if you are using a larger mixing bowl or container.
How to Calibrate a Food Scale
A good digital food weight scale will come with its own calibration function for when you suspect that its accuracy is a little off. However, each device is different, and it’s necessary to follow the calibration directions in the instruction manual.
Here’s a general guide to how to calibrate your digital food scale…
- Place the scale on a flat, level surface
- Switch on the scale
- Using the instruction manual, find the calibration button
- Press the calibration button until the LCD display registers a change
- Place a known weight on the scale to calibrate it – a new penny should weigh exactly 2.5 grams, and a nickel exactly 5 grams
- Wait until the LCD display informs you that the calibration is complete before turning off or moving the scale
Best Food Scale Options
Etekcity Digital Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale
The sleek, rectangular design of the Etekcity Digital Kitchen Scale is both attractive and practical.
The stainless steel finish resists mucky fingerprints, and its flat surface means it is easy to use with almost any size or shape container.
Four sensors beneath the weighing platform assure precise weight readings within a range of between 1 gram and 11 lbs.
It features a tare function, automatic shut off after 2 minutes of inactivity, a bright and clear backlit LCD screen, and a low battery indicator.
- Super easy to keep clean
- Slim profile makes it easy to store
- Measures in multiple units
- Easy to read digital display
- Attractive design
- Comes with 1-year warranty
- Less accurate with weights below 3 grams
- Backlight turns itself off too quickly, making it sometimes difficult to read screen
Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale
Capable of weighing ingredients with weight as little as 0.5 grams up to just over 11 lbs. in 5 different units of measurement, the Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale has a striking design available in a range of 7 different colors to suit your style.
Weights are displayed on the clear and convenient LCD screen, which is easy to read thanks to the elevated weighing platform, which allows for an unobstructed view.
This kitchen food scale also boasts a tare function and can effortlessly take care of weight conversions at the press of a button.
This food scale will also power down automatically after 2 minutes of inactivity – saving you precious battery power.
- Comes in a range of colors
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Small footprint
- Provides consistently accurate results
- Rubber feet means it stays put on the countertop
- Provides weights in a wide range of units
- Long battery life
- Easy to clean
- Can be a little slow at measuring weights
- LCD display is not backlit
Greater Goods Nourish Digital Kitchen Food Scale
More than just a mere food weight scale, the Greater Goods Nourish Digital Kitchen Food Scale benefits from an amazing nutritional facts display that will not only tell you how much your ingredients weigh but also their calorie content and the amount of fats, carbs, and sugars – ideal for those watching portion size and weight gain.
The sleek, silver rectangular design features a hygienic glass surface for easy cleaning and maintenance, and touch-sensitive buttons make the interface easy to navigate.
Capable of weighing items between 1 gram and 11 lbs. in weight with results accurate up to 1 gram, this food scale also features auto-calibration function, tare function, plus automatic shut off function. It can provide weight measurements in ounces, grams, and pounds.
- Good database of around 2000 food items
- Possibility to create custom nutrition entries
- Accurate and reliable
- Nutritional information is clearly displayed and easy to understand
- Excellent tool for staying on track with weight goals
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Sturdy, well-made product
- Easy to use and maintain
- Display could be bigger and brighter and easier to read
- Buttons are sometimes a little small and fiddly
INEVIFIT Digital Kitchen Scale
With the best weight capacity on our list so far, the Inevifit digital kitchen scale can cope with items weighing up to 13 lbs. in 1 gram increments, so it’s ideal for those who need to be able to weigh larger quantities.
The minimalist design fits easily into any kitchen style, and the large backlit LCD display can measure pounds, ounces, grams and convert liquid weights into milliliters.
This digital kitchen food scale also boasts a small footprint, slim profile, a tare button, and an automatic shut-off feature.
- Comes with 5-year warranty
- Attractive design
- Light and easy to store
- Great for weighing larger quantities
- Bright, easily legible LCD display
- Sometimes powers off too quickly
Etekcity Digital Food Scale and Multifunction Kitchen Weight Scale
Complete with a convenient removable bowl that doubles up as a cover when not in use, the Etekcity Digital Food Scale and Multifunction Kitchen Weight Scale is the ideal kitchen companion for people who love to bake, as it can weigh in pounds, ounces, and grams but also fluid ounces, with particularly accurate milk and water measurements.
A simple two-button interface lets you convert between units and use the tare function, displaying weights on the good-sized LCD screen.
This digital kitchen scale has a weight capacity of up to 11 pounds in 1 gram increments.
- Automatic off function saves on battery life
- Easy to use
- Excellent unit conversion features
- Sensitive and precise
- Included bowl is a convenient size and shape
- Good customer service
- Great for baking
- Scale can’t be calibrated
AccuWeight Digital Kitchen Multifunction Food Scale
Designed using four sensors to give you very accurate and high precision weight measurements in lbs., ounces, grams, milliliters, and fluid ounces, the Accuweight digital kitchen multifunction food scale has a maximum weight capacity of 11 lbs.
Featuring tare function, unit conversion, large 3.2 inch backlit LCD display, automatic shut off, and indicators for low battery and weight overload, this digital kitchen scale also has a good-looking design with a practical and hygienic tempered glass top that is easy to keep clean.
- Super large and bright display screen
- Convenient size and weight for storage
- Very precise
- Comes with 1-year warranty
- Capable of fluid measurements
- Glass top is easy to clean and liquid proof
- Can be slow to respond as you add dry ingredients to your mixing bowl for measurement
- Not easy to clean if anything gets under the glass
Etekcity Digital Touch Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale
Ideal for baking and cooking and complete with a 60-second automatic turn off function, one-touch tare function, and capable of weighing both dry and liquid weights in pounds, ounces grams, milliliters, and fluid ounces of up to 11 lbs., the Etekcity Digital Touch Kitchen Scale Multifunction Food Scale is an excellent all-around kitchen food scale.
An original touch is the large, circular LCD display which is super easy to read and navigate.
Made from a mixture of stainless steel and tempered glass, this is a robust and practical food scale.
- Super slim, stylish design
- Quality construction
- Straightforward to use
- Good value for money
- Great digital display
- Large, versatile weighing platform
- Automatic power save feature shuts off very quickly
Escali P115C Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale
With a maximum capacity of 11 lbs. and brimming with features including a tare button, automatic shut-off function after 4 minutes of inactivity, liquid resistant LCD display, and an easy wipe clean weighing platform, the Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale has a lot to offer.
This digital food scale provides you with an accurate measurement in pounds, ounces, and grams. It is lightweight and comes in an array of 9 eye-popping colors to suit your decor. Rubber feet on this Escali scale mean that it won’t slide around all over your countertop.
- Consistent and accurate
- Cute color range
- Useful for controlling portion sizes
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Spill-resistant and easy to keep clean
- Easy programming uses only 2 buttons
- Made from plastic which is not terribly durable
- Cannot measure liquids
My Weigh KD-7000 Digital Stainless-Steel Food Scale
This popular digital food scale from My Weight can handle up to a whopping 15.4 lbs. maximum weight, making it ideal for cooking or weighing out big batches of food – even the heaviest ingredients.
Retro in design, the My Weigh KD-7000 can weigh dry weights in grams, kg lbs., oz, and oz: lbs. Despite its size, this is a very sensitive scale, measuring in increments of 1 gram. It can be run either on an AA battery or main power with the added feature of an automatic shut-off feature to save energy.
The large, blue-lit LCD screen has a removable protective cover to guard against spills and other messes while cooking.
A removable stainless steel weighing platform makes for easy cleaning.
- Comes with a 30-year warranty
- Huge capacity
- Convenient to keep clean
- Robust reinforced plastic and stainless steel design
- Long battery life
- Can also be used with an AC adapter
- Very versatile
- Poor customer service
- Some users don’t like the plastic body
Greater Goods Digital Pocket Scale
If you are looking for a smaller pocket scale option, this Greater Goods Digital Pocket Scale is a great pick. It allows for superior 0.1-gram resolution for precise accuracy with its high-precision sensor.
It also has a cycle of 6 units, including grams, ounces, carats, grains, troy ounces, and pennyweight. This means you can measure anything from your coffee grounds and kale chips to gold coins and jewelry, making it a versatile scale for the home.
- Small pocket scale at a more than affordable price point
- Easy to clean surface
- Precise measurement and accuracy and has been found to become even more accurate as the weight on the scale increases
- Due to its small and compact size, it is easy to take with you on the go
- Weighing scale has a hard time reading liquid placed into a vessel on the scale
- It is also not rechargeable. However, it takes AA batteries, which are easy enough to replace
Which do you think is the best food scale?
Best Food Scale FAQ
Still have questions? Here are answers to some of the more commonly asked questions about food scales and what they can do for you.
What is the best way to store a food scale?
When storing your food scale, it should be placed on a flat, level, and hard surface. If you are storing a digital scale, remember that it most likely isn’t waterproof, so you want to avoid exposure to moisture or liquids.
It is not recommended that you store a digital kitchen scale on its side because it can cause problems with your food scale’s overall accuracy and calibration.
How accurate are food scales?
You will find that most food scales are accurate within one gram. If you aren’t sure that the measurements are right, place an object on your food scale and note the weight. Then, take that object off the scale and let it zero itself back out. Next, put the same object back onto the scale. If the measurements are the same as before, then the scale should be accurate. If not, you may have to calibrate your scale.
Which is the best kitchen weighing scale?
An Escali scale is one of the top picks for the best food scale. It has been rated highly twice by a leading consumer magazine. An Escali scale is also a multifunctional scale with easy-to-use features and a two-button operation. In addition, it has a sealed control panel and rounded design, making it more durable and much easier to clean.
How accurate is an analog scale?
An analog scale will likely provide you with slightly less accurate measurements than digital scales. This makes it harder to get a precise measurement when it comes to lighter weights. However, they still typically have a tare function and are good for imperial or metric measurements.
Who should get a kitchen scale?
If you are on a diet or are health-conscious, a kitchen scale can help you measure portion sizes and stay on track. If you are a chef or a baker, a kitchen scale is a great way to achieve more accurate measurements than you could with a measuring cup or measuring spoons.
If you are a home chef who wants to cut down on the number of dishes they use while cooking, a kitchen scale can do all your measuring for you without the mess of having to use and then clean multiple measuring spoons and cups.