Melted cheese, crispy, toasted bread – such a simple combination, yet when put together, results in something incredible.
This article will cover a few ways to make this delicious concoction, from simple to intricate and gourmet, so your own cheesy bread can sate any craving!
How to Make Cheese Bread – the Bare Bones Basic!
For when patience is low and cravings are high, let’s start with the most simple cheese bread on earth. You will need the following:
- 1 slice of your favorite cheese.
- 1 slice of sandwich bread.
- 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Start by pre-heating your oven to a broil. This will cause the cheese to melt quickly and the bread to crisp up nicely.
- Next, butter the sandwich bread.
- Place the cheese slice on top of the bread, ensuring as much coverage as possible.
- Place the bread on any baking sheet and put into the oven for five minutes.
- Let the cheese bread cool and eat!
How to Make Garlic Cheese Bread (The Fancy Way)
Well, that was rather lackluster. Instead, let’s work on something more interesting: Four-cheese, garlic-cheese bread!
This will be somewhat more complicated, but with a much greater reward. Without further ado, let’s begin!
This will require a number of ingredients, but will also result in a tastier experience.
To make this specialty cheese bread, you will need the following:
- 1 stick of butter, softened.
- 4 cloves of minced garlic.
- ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese.
- ¼ cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- ⅓ cup of sliced green onion.
- 1 eight-inch baguette.
Once all these are together, it is time to begin mixing!
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combine the butter, garlic, cheese, and green onion until everything is fully incorporated.
- Cut the baguette evenly in half, taking care not to cut yourself (it happens to be best of us!)
- Spread the mixture out onto the baguette, making sure to lay it on thick and evenly to ensure even melting when placed into the oven.
- Allow it to bake for fifteen minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown at the edges.
- Let cool and serve!
For another easy variation, here’s a video showing how to make chilli cheese bread.
How to Make Cheese Bread with Homemade Bread
Now that you’re well versed in making the cheese topping for your delicious treat, it’s time for the final step to create excellence: making your own bread! Specifically, an Italian loaf.
This one will crisp up nicely, and pairs well with the cheese blend.
At first glance it seems difficult, but the end result will make it worthwhile.
You will need the following:
- 2 cups of lukewarm water.
- 1 ¾ ounces of cake yeast (⅓ cup).
- 5 ¾ cups of bread flour.
- 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar.
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon of salt.
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten.
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds.
Now it’s time to begin mixing and baking!
- Start by prepping your yeast. Place the water and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer until it has bloomed (about five minutes total).
- Next, add the dough hook attachment to your mixer, and slowly add the flour and sugar. Mix on low speed until the dough begins forming.
- Turn the mixer up to medium speed, and begin drizzling the salt and oil into the dough, beating the mixture for eight to ten minutes until a smooth, elastic dough has formed.
- Now it is time to let the dough rise. Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled bowl and spray the dough with a thin coating of cooking oil.
- Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to proof in a cool (or turned-off) oven for one and a half hours – or until it has doubled in size.
- Remove the plastic wrap, punch down the dough, and flatten it out with the heel of your hand. Then roll it tightly into a loaf, making sure to seal the seam completely with each roll. Leaving it open will result in the loaf splitting open, which will ruin the final shape.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit with an upside-down baking sheet inside (as this will better heat the surface which your dough touches).
- Place the dough on the baking sheet (right-side up now) and cover with a damp towel, allowing it to proof for thirty minutes or until doubled in size.
- Brush the dough with the egg white, and sprinkle on the sesame seeds.
- Using a sharp knife, score three slashes across the top of the dough, each a ¼ inch deep.
- Spray the dough generously with water and bake for three minutes.
- Open the door, spray the dough again, and bake for three more minutes.
- Repeat a third time before baking for 45 minutes, or until the dough makes a hollow noise when hit with a wooden spoon.
- Allow to cool, and serve.
Cheese bread in itself is simply toast and cheese, but when mixed with gourmet cooking, can become something incredible.