Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
Looking for the best toaster oven?
We’ve got you covered.
These tiny toasters-cum-ovens can be a game changer when it comes to cooking.
Start the day right with perfect crisp crunchy toast and finish it well with a delicious oven cooked comfort food supper, all made quickly and with ease in a toaster oven.
We’ve compiled this buying guide to the best toaster ovens to help you make the best purchase for you.
Here’s a sneak peek at our top 3:
|Best For....||Value||Overall Quality||Slow Cook Function|
|# of Preset Cooking Modes||3||15||10|
|Baking Pan Capacity||9" x 11"||9" x 13"||9" x 13"|
Let’s take it away…
- 1 What is a Toaster Oven?
- 2 Toaster Ovens vs Toasters
- 3 Toaster Ovens vs Convection Ovens
- 4 Signs of the Best Toaster Oven
- 5 The Best Toaster Ovens of 2019
- 5.1 Cuisinart TOB-260N1 Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven
- 5.2 Hamilton Beach Countertop Toaster Oven Easy Reach
- 5.3 Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
- 5.4 Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven
- 5.5 Oster Large Digital Countertop Convection Toaster Oven
- 5.6 Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven with Element IQ
- 5.7 Cuisinart TOB-40N Custom Classic Toaster Oven Broiler
- 5.8 BLACK+DECKER Countertop Convection Toaster Oven
- 5.9 Hamilton Beach Toastation 2-Slice Toaster and Countertop Oven
- 5.10 hOmeLabs 6 Slice Convection Oven Stainless Steel Countertop Toaster
What is a Toaster Oven?
In a nutshell, a toaster oven is exactly what you would think.
It’s a mini counter top oven a little smaller than a microwave that is designed to grill toast and other foods perfectly whilst also acting just like a conventional oven, meaning that you can use a toaster oven to cook pretty much everything you can think of in double quick time, as well as using it to heat up ready prepared foods.
It’s an ideal cooking solution — particularly if you haven’t got much kitchen space, you’re pushed for time, or you’re just cooking for one or two people.
The best toaster ovens are capable of convection cooking, baking, toasting, broiling, and more.
How Do They Work?
Designed to cook about 2 to 6 slices of toast or two portions of other food, toaster ovens work using coils that are located on the bottom and back or top of the oven unit.
These coils heat to a very high temperature super fast, and hot air is reflected off the heat-reflecting interior and circulated throughout the oven causing the food to cook thoroughly and evenly, and leaving it perfectly browned.
Food is placed horizontally on the wire rack inside the toaster oven and then it’s just a case of setting the timer to the desired time.
When the timer beeps the toaster oven turns off automatically and – hey presto! You’ve got a delicious meal in half the time of a conventional oven.
Take a look at this video for more info:
Toaster Ovens vs Toasters
Toaster ovens are great for cooking toast, but unlike a traditional toaster they are much more versatile and able to cook both dry and wet ingredients, and depending on the model of toaster oven it’s possible to have every cooking function possible the same as a regular oven — even the ability to defrost like a microwave.
Toasting bread, waffles, or other similar foods takes a little longer in a toaster oven than with a regular toaster because the heating elements are located farther from the toast, and toast will also only be crisply grilled on one side unless you turn it over manually.
Toasters are also smaller than toaster ovens and cheaper to buy.
Toaster Ovens vs Convection Ovens
As opposed to being placed on the kitchen counter top, convection ovens are usually built in to the kitchen units.
They are significantly larger than a toaster oven, which means that it’s possible to cook larger quantities of food.
However, the bigger size of convection ovens means that they are less economical and energy efficient — particularly when just heating up food, cooking in small batches, or grilling toast.
When it comes to cooking times, the convection oven has the upper hand. A convection oven uses an additional fan to circulate the hot air, so the cooking process tends to be quicker than with a toaster oven which doesn’t have the fan (although it’s worth bearing in mind that some toaster ovens do come in convection models).
Due to the bigger size and complexity of a convection oven, they are also generally significantly more expensive than a toaster oven.
Signs of the Best Toaster Oven
Choosing the right toaster oven can be a tricky task.
Here are 6 signs of the best toaster oven that you should be looking out for…
- Easy to use — Lots of complicated buttons and dials can be confusing. A toaster oven with an intuitive control panel and clear LCD display is best.
- Versatility — Are you just going to be heating food up and making toast, or are you looking to get more adventurous when cooking with your toaster oven? Choose a model that will have the cooking features that suit your needs.
- Presets — Preset cooking controls make cooking with your toaster oven even easier and save you time. Make sure that your toaster oven has a good set of presets, which may typically include things like; toast, reheat, pizza, brown, broil etc.
- Alarms — A toaster oven with audible alarms that beep to tell you when your food is ready is a must.
- Automatic shut-off — An essential safety feature, automatic shut-off will turn off your toaster oven after 30 minutes to one hour to reduce the risk of the unit overheating and causing a fire. It also means your food is less likely to burn to a crisp if you get distracted.
- Easy to clean — A non stick interior will make your toaster oven easier to keep clean, and features such as a removable crumb tray are an added bonus.
The Best Toaster Ovens of 2019
Popular for their quality kitchen appliances, Cuisinart have developed the large capacity TOB-260N1 Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven which can cook an enormous 13 inch pizza or up to 9 slices of toast.
With 15 different cooking modes, this toaster convection oven can cook anything from stews and roasts, to waffles and sandwiches, as well as having warm up and defrost functions and the ability to combine 2 different cooking functions simultaneously — even the convection function.
The sleek stainless steel design has a double rack capacity for cooking two different things at the same time, and comes with a great range of accessories; a 13 inch pizza stone for perfect pizzas, a bake pan, a broiling pan, and crumb tray – as well as a useful little recipe book.
- Solid and reliable construction
- 15 presets
- Heats up quickly
- Excellent range of cooking functions
- Generous oven capacity
- Non stick interior and removable crumb tray for easy cleaning
- Easy to read, backlit LCD display
- Heat evenly and consistently
- Digital display doesn’t show seconds
- Large footprint
Interior access is easy with the Hamilton Beach Countertop Toaster Oven Easy Reach thanks to its innovative roll top door design which gives a large opening and brings food within easy reach, as well as leaving you with more space on your counter top when the door is open.
Large enough to toast 6 slices of bread or fit a 12 inch pizza, this toaster oven has 3 different cooking functions, broil, bake, and toast.
Select your preferred cooking mode and set the timer for up to 30 minutes with the simple to use dials, and when cooking time is over an automatic shut off will power down the oven, or you can choose to override this and keep it at temperature for longer.
The rack can be placed in 2 different positions and a 9 x 11 inch baking tray is supplied.
- Removable door and crumb tray make for easy cleaning
- Practical design takes up very little space
- Easy to use
- Roll up door reduces the risk of burns
- Useful automatic shut off feature
- Heats up quickly
- Excellent value for money
- Ticking timer can be annoying
- Basic range of cooking functions
One step above the Breville BOV450XL below, the Breville BOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ is packed with even more features.
In addition to the smart Element IQ technology that intelligently adjusts heat to where is is needed most, it boasts 10 cooking functions — 2 more than the Breville Mini — one of which is a slow cook function.
Another great feature is the automatically ejecting rack which can be placed in 3 different positions, and the bright LCD display shows the time and temperature for the cooking function selected and changes color from blue to orange when the oven is in cooking mode.
Size wise this toaster oven is spacious, being able to cook a 13 inch pizza or a roast, and a pizza pan, baking pan and broiling rack are included.
- Non stick interior and removable crumb tray make it easy to clean
- Lots of different cooking options – 10 presets
- Great slow cook and keep warm functions
- Interior light for food monitoring
- Straightforward to use
- Cooks evenly and quickly
- Convection fan can be noisy
This mini toaster oven may only be large enough for toasting 4 slices of bread, but that doesn’t mean it’s not clever.
The Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress uses quartz and ceramic double infrared heating to cook food, which cooks the outside and the inside of the food simultaneously for faster, more even cooking.
It features a handy automatic rack ejector and an automatic shut off feature, and benefits from 6 different preset cooking functions including toast, waffle, roll, pizza, reheat and hash browns.
The digital timer can be set for times up to 25 minutes, and incremental temperature settings up to 500°F are controlled by touch buttons on the control panel.
Comes equipped with a 9 inch square baking tray.
- Lightweight and very compact
- Cooks food quickly and evenly
- Heats up super fast
- No need to preheat before cooking
- Easy to use
- Convenient automatic rack ejector
- A little limited in terms of versatility
Big enough to accommodate a large pizza or casserole dish yet not take up too much room on your countertop, the Oster Large Digital Countertop Convection Toaster Oven has several preset cooking modes — bake, broil, convection bake, toast, warm, pizza and defrost, and two different rack positions.
If you want to use it for toasting, you can choose the exact shade of browning you require, and the convection oven means you can roast and bake foods and achieve crispy crusts within a reduced cooking time.
The crumb tray is removable for easy cleaning and it comes with a perfectly sized baking tray.
It also has a 1.5 hour automatic shut off safety feature, digital display, and interior light.
- Convection oven
- 7 presets
- Large interior oven capacity
- Automatic shut off feature
- Intuitive to use
- Good range of preset cooking functions
- Useful interior light
- Interior is not non stick
- Takes up a fairly large amount of counter space
Smart and stylish, the Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven with Element IQ uses quartz heating elements ensures even heat distribution throughout the oven and intelligently channels heat to where it is needed depending on which cooking function is chosen.
It boasts 8 preset cooking modes including roast, broil, bake, pizza, cookies, reheat, bagel and toast. The non stick interior is big enough for 4 slices of toast, or an 11 inch pizza, and features 3 possible rack positions.
The digital controls and LCD display allow you to set time and temperature, and the ‘bit more’ button allows you to add a little more time to the cooking cycle, without resetting the cooking time.
There is an automatic shut off safety feature and this toaster oven also comes supplied with a removable crumb tray and a 10 inch square baking tray.
- Super easy to clean
- 8 presets
- Intuitive to use
- Compact with small footprint
- Great heating performance due to quartz elements
- Clever ‘bit more’ feature
- Good range of cooking modes
- Nice design
- Pricey considering ‘mini’ size
- Casing can get very hot
With an eye catching black and silver design, the Cuisinart TOB-40N Custom Classic Toaster Oven Broiler toasts bread and bagels, broils, warms and bakes.
Big enough to hold 4 to 6 slices of toast or an 11 inch pizza, the rack of this toaster oven can be positioned at 2 different heights for more versatile cooking, and slides out automatically when the door is opened.
Rubberized dials on the front of the machine control temperature, cooking function, and toast shade, and there is a start / stop button for toasting so that you can halt the toasting mid-way when needed, as well as an automatic shut off feature.
The non-stick interior and removable crumb tray ensure that the Cuisinart TOB-40N is a cinch to clean.
- Excellent results when cooking toast or bagels
- Convenient automatic slide out rack
- Competitively priced
- Easy to clean
- Dial controls are simple to use and understand
- Long 2 year warranty
- No built in timer
- No interior light
Large enough to cook an entire chicken or a 12 inch pizza, the BLACK+DECKER Countertop Convection Toaster Oven can handle cooking countless dishes quickly and efficiently thanks to the convection oven with 8 preset cooking functions including bake, broil, toast, bagel, pizza, frozen snacks, potatoes, and cookies.
The control panel features touch buttons to select the cooking mode, temperature, and length of cooking time, and also benefits from a clear, LCD digital display.
After the cooking time is up the toaster oven automatically shuts off.
Nonstick and with a removable crumb tray, this toaster oven is practical when it comes to cleaning, and the rack can be placed in two different positions.
- 8 presets
- Simple control panel is easy to use
- Good looking design
- Long length 120 minute timer
- Very effective heating and even cooking
- Convection oven
- Control panel and digital screen can be hard to read in low light levels
- Door can slam onto the counter top unexpectedly
The cheeky little Toastation 2-Slice Toaster and Countertop Oven from Hamilton Beach features some winning retro styling and is one of the smallest toaster ovens on the market.
Not much bigger than a regular 2 slice toaster, the top section of this machine works in just the same way as a conventional toaster with a push down lever, extra wide single top slot, and electronic toast shade selector.
Another lever toggles between toaster the convection oven below, which although small is still big enough to heat up or bake single portions of food like fries and pizza slices and it’s super energy efficient.
This is probably the cutest toaster oven we’ve seen and its tiny footprint takes up next to no space on the counter.
It also features removable crumb tray and automatic shut off, and comes with a perfectly sized baking pan.
- Small footprint and clever design
- Energy and time efficient
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- Quick to heat up
- Stylish, retro design
- Only useful for small portions
- No interior light or oven timer
This small toaster oven from hOmelabs comes with a broiler rack, rotisserie fork, crumb tray, and baking pan which gets you well equipped to use the full range of ten cooking functions to create almost any meal you can think of.
Despite it’s compact size, this toaster oven is roomy enough to fit a 12 inch pizza or a whole chicken inside, and the choice of 3 rack positions means you can have even greater cooking control.
Being a convection toaster oven makes this machine even more versatile, allowing you to cook all types of food to perfection, and it heats up extra quickly to save you precious time when you’re rushed off your feet.
- Attractive stainless steel design
- Convection oven
- Good range of accessories
- 10 presets
- Easy to clean
- Large interior size
- Compact footprint
- Durable construction
- Temperature increments are not ideally spaced
- Operating instructions could be clearer
Which do you think is the best toaster oven?