Looking for the best toaster oven under $100? Maybe you want a more expensive toaster oven that offers a myriad of helpful cooking features. We’ve got you covered either way. These tiny toasters can be a game-changer when it comes to cooking.
You can toast your bread in the morning or complete a full meal at night. The options are almost limitless when it comes to what foods you can prepare with your new toaster oven.
With the convenience and features in mind, we have compiled this list of the best toaster ovens you can find on a budget – and have also thrown in some more expensive options if you want more features and more bang for your buck.
Let’s get to it!
- What Is a Toaster Oven?
- How Do They Work?
- Toaster Ovens vs Toasters
- Toaster Ovens vs Convection Ovens
- How to Find the Best Toaster Oven
- What is the Best Wattage for a Toaster Oven?
- What Accessories Should Your Toaster Oven Have?
- Do I Need a Toast Timer?
- The Best Toaster Ovens On A Budget
- Higher End Toaster Oven Models
What Is a Toaster Oven?
In a nutshell, a toaster oven is exactly what you would think.
It’s a mini countertop oven that is slightly smaller than a microwave oven. It is designed to grill toast and other foods perfectly while also acting as a conventional oven. This means you can use your new toaster oven to cook pretty much everything you can think of quickly while also effortlessly heating prepared meals.
It’s the ideal cooking solution if you don’t want to turn the oven on or use the stovetop. It is also a great appliance to have if you are short on kitchen space and are only cooking for one to two people at a time.
The best toaster oven is capable of convection cooking, baking, toasting, broiling, and so much more.
How Do They Work?
Designed to cook between two and six slices of toast or two portions of food, depending on the size, toaster ovens work using coils located on the bottom and back or top of the oven unit.
These coils heat to a very high temperature super-fast, and the hot air is reflected off the heat-reflecting interior. The heat is then circulated throughout the oven, causing the food to cook thoroughly and evenly, leaving it perfectly browned.
Food is placed horizontally on the wire rack inside the toaster oven, and then it’s just a case of setting the timer to the desired time.
When the timer beeps, the toaster oven turns off automatically and – presto! You’ve got a delicious meal in half the time it would have taken in a conventional oven.
Take a look at this video for more info:
Toaster Ovens vs Toasters
Toaster ovens are great for cooking toast, but they are much more versatile and can cook dry and wet ingredients, unlike a traditional toaster. Depending on the toaster oven model you choose, it’s also possible to have every cooking function possible and have some of the same features as a regular oven – even the ability to defrost like a microwave.
However, more features often equate to more money. So, keep this in mind if you are looking for a budget toaster oven under the $100 mark.
Toasting bread, waffles, or similar foods takes a little longer in a toaster oven than with a regular toaster because the heating elements are located farther from the toast, and toast will also only be crisp on one side. It must be turned over manually to evenly toast both sides. A toaster toasts both sides of your bread at the same time.
Toasters are also smaller than toaster ovens and cheaper to buy.
Toaster Ovens vs Convection Ovens
Convection ovens are much larger and are often a staple in the kitchen. Toaster ovens, on the other hand, are much smaller and fit neatly on the countertop. A large convection oven can cook more food at one time. However, the bigger the convection oven, the less economical and energy-efficient it is, especially if you just want to toast bread quickly or heat your leftovers.
When it comes to cooking times, the convection oven has the upper hand. A convection oven uses an additional fan to circulate the hot air, so the cooking process tends to be quicker than with a toaster oven which doesn’t have the fan (although it’s worth bearing in mind that some toaster ovens do come in convection models).
Due to a convection oven’s bigger size and complexity, they are also significantly more expensive than a toaster oven.
How to Find the Best Toaster Oven
Choosing the right toaster oven can be a tricky task.
Here are 6 things to consider when looking for the best toaster oven for your needs:
- Easy to use — Lots of complicated buttons and dials can be confusing. A toaster oven with an intuitive control panel and clear LCD display is best.
- Versatility — Are you just going to be heating food and making toast, or are you looking to get more adventurous when cooking with your toaster oven? Choose a model that will have the cooking features that suit your needs.
- Presets — Preset cooking controls make cooking with your toaster oven even easier and save you time. Ensure that your toaster oven has a good set of presets, which may typically include toast, reheat, pizza, brown, broil, etc.
- Alarms — A toaster oven with audible alarms that beep to tell you when your food is ready is a must.
- Automatic shut-off — An essential safety feature, automatic shut-off will turn off your toaster oven after 30 minutes to one hour to reduce the unit’s risk of overheating and causing a fire. It also means your food is less likely to burn to a crisp if you get distracted.
- Easy to clean — A non-stick interior will make your toaster oven easier to keep clean, and features such as a removable crumb tray are an added bonus.
What is the Best Wattage for a Toaster Oven?
A more basic toaster oven model will have about 1500 watts of power and can go up to 1800 watts or more, depending on the model you choose. When you have a toaster oven with a higher wattage, you can achieve temperatures between 150 and 450-degrees Fahrenheit. This allows you to cook various foods, including thawed and frozen foods because you have a much broader temperature range to work with.
What Accessories Should Your Toaster Oven Have?
It doesn’t matter if you are just toasting a bread slice or trying to make sides for a party; you want the best for your toaster oven when it comes to accessories. Here are just a few toaster oven accessories you may want to consider. Keep in mind that some models actually come equipped with some of these, so be sure to read what is included before making a purchase.
Bake Pan Set
You can prove just how versatile your toaster oven can be when you have a bake pan set for grilling, baking, and boiling. It also allows for the even flow of air circulation around the food as it cooks.
Toaster Oven Liner
A toaster oven liner makes cleanup a breeze. It can catch all drips, spills, and crumbs. It is made of a versatile and high-quality material that can easily be cut to the right size to fit your toaster oven.
This broiling pan has a non-stick coating for easy cleanup and catches all your drippings so you can avoid stubborn stuck-on messes at the bottom of your toaster oven.
Do I Need a Toast Timer?
You really don’t. Most toaster oven models are equipped with their own dedicated toast timer, so you can eliminate the guesswork from your cooking time. So, if a toast timer is an important function you must have, make sure to check all countertop oven reviews.
The Best Toaster Ovens On A Budget
Here are our recommendations for the best toaster ovens on a budget (they are generally under $100 but be sure to check the latest pricing).
While they may not have as many features as the higher-end models, these are perfect for any beginner who wants to test the waters with their new toaster oven and see how versatile they can be.
Hamilton Beach Countertop Toaster Oven Easy Reach
Thanks to its innovative roll-top door design, interior access is easy with the Hamilton Beach Toaster Oven Easy Reach. It provides the user with a large opening and puts your food within easy reach. It also leaves you with more space on your countertop when the door is open.
This Hamilton Beach toaster oven is big enough to toast 6 slices of bread or cook a 12-inch pizza. It has three different cooking functions: broil, bake, and toast.
Select your preferred cooking mode and set the timer for up to 30 minutes with the simple to use dials. When cooking time is over, an automatic shut-off will power down the toaster oven. You can also choose to override this safety feature and keep it at temperature for longer if needed.
The rack can be placed in two different positions, and a 9 x 11-inch baking sheet is supplied.
- Removable door and crumb tray make for easy cleaning
- Practical design takes up very little space
- Easy to use
- Roll-up door reduces the risk of burns
- Useful automatic shut off feature
- Heats up quickly
- Excellent value for money
- Ticking timer can be annoying
- Basic range of cooking functions
Oster Large Digital Countertop Convection Toaster Oven
This toaster oven by Oster is big enough to accommodate a large pizza or casserole dish without taking up too much room on your countertop. The Oster Large Digital Countertop Convection Toaster Oven has several preset cooking modes: bake, broil, convection bake, toast, warm, pizza, and defrost. It also has two different rack positions to choose from.
If you want to use it for toasting, you can choose the exact shade of browning you require. There is also a convection oven cooking option that allows you to roast and bake foods and achieve crispy crusts within a reduced cooking time.
The crumb tray is removable for easy cleaning, and it comes with a perfectly sized baking sheet. It also has a 1.5-hour automatic shut-off safety feature, digital display, and interior light.
- Convection oven
- 7 presets
- Large interior oven capacity
- Automatic shut off feature
- Intuitive to use
- Good range of preset cooking functions
- Useful interior light
- Interior is not non-stick
- Takes up a fairly large amount of counter space
BLACK+DECKER Countertop Convection Toaster Oven
Large enough to cook an entire chicken or a 12-inch pizza, the BLACK+DECKER Countertop Convection Toaster Oven can handle cooking countless dishes quickly and efficiently. This is thanks to the convection oven feature with 8 preset cooking functions, including bake, broil, toast, bagel, pizza, frozen snacks, potatoes, and cookies.
The control panel features touch buttons so you can easily select the cooking mode, temperature, and length of cooking time you need. You will also benefit from a clear, LCD digital display that is easy to read.
After the cooking time is up, the toaster oven automatically shuts off. It also features a non-stick surface and a removable crumb tray. This is the best toaster oven when it comes to practicality and cleaning as well. You also have the option to choose between two different rack positions to suit your needs.
- 8 presets
- Simple control panel is easy to use
- Good looking design
- Long length 120-minute timer
- Very effective heating and even cooking
- Convection oven
- Control panel and digital screen can be hard to read in low light levels
- Door can slam onto the countertop unexpectedly
Toshiba Toaster Oven
The Toshiba Toaster Oven comes in two color options for under $100, including black stainless steel and stainless steel. It has a large interior that can easily accommodate up to six bread slices, a 12-inch pizza, a casserole, cookies, or up to four pounds of chicken.
This is one of the best toaster oven options because it has ten different cooking settings to choose from with adjustable temperatures between 150 and 400-degrees. This makes it easier to cook all your favorites.
Its bright digital display is easy to read, and it also features easy-to-turn control knobs, dual-position racks, a non-stick interior surface, and a cool-touch handle.
You also get various accessories included with your purchase, such as a removable crumb tray, rotisserie kit and lifter, baking rack, baking pan, and rack clamp.
It has an output of 1500 watts, and the convection fan of this toaster oven circulates the warm air throughout for faster and more even baking.
- Versatile temperature range offering
- 10 popular cooking functions
- Convection fan and rotisserie
- Larger interior space for more cooking flexibility
- Easy to clean interior
- High contrast LCD display with easy to turn design
- Some users complained about a low volume and high pitched beep that forces you to unplug the toaster oven when it is not in use
- Top of the kitchen appliance can get extremely hot, so you can’t place anything on top of the toaster oven
Comfee Toaster Oven for Countertop
This is one of the more affordable toaster oven options on our list, coming in at under $50. The Comfee toaster oven for the countertop is a compact size for a smaller space and is easy to control with timer, bake, broil, and toast settings. It has a power output of 1000 watts.
The built-in 30-minute timer allows you to achieve your desired shade of toast, and it also has a stay-on feature if you have longer baking tasks. In addition, it has a versatile design that fits nicely on top of your countertop without taking up too much space.
This compact toaster can fit up to four slices of bread at a time, making it slightly smaller than the other best toaster oven options on our list, but it still allows you to control the temperature of the toaster oven between 150 and 400-degrees.
It also has a broiling feature that is great for cooking meat and vegetables. There are only two dials to operate this kitchen appliance as well, making it easy to use. The detachable crumb tray ensures easy cleanup, and the dual position oven rack allows you to broil food at a lower position and bake and toast at higher positions.
- Easy to operate and control the temperature
- Three popular cooking functions for more versatility
- High and low oven rack positions for different cooking methods
- Easy to remove crumb tray for easy cleanup
- Compact design ideal for smaller spaces
- May run hotter than expected, so be sure to adjust the temperature as needed
- Numbers on the dial can be hard to read for some. No digital display
Higher End Toaster Oven Models
And now here are some of our higher-priced choices. These may appeal to you if you have used a toaster oven previously and have a better idea about what you want to cook and what you want to do with your toaster oven.
Panasonic FlashXpress Toaster Oven
Coming in at slightly over the $100 price tag, this toaster oven is sure not to disappoint. The Panasonic FlashXpress toaster oven is a compact and easy-to-use toaster oven that does everything you would expect, including toasting, baking, browning, and reheating foods to absolute perfection.
This toaster oven does not have to be preheated. Two infrared oven heating elements are positioned at both the front and back of the kitchen appliance, allowing for maximum efficiency while you cook.
It has six one-touch controls, including six preset cooking functions for meals, snacks, and sides. You can find your ideal temperature with the manual temperature control and timer.
For safety, the baking rack is connected to the over door and smoothly pulls toward you as you open the door. Its auto shut-off feature helps prevent overcooking and burning.
If you have limited kitchen space, the compact design of this toaster oven is perfect as it fits nicely on any countertop surface. Its design, coupled with efficient infrared technology, one-touch controls, and intelligent design, makes it the perfect addition to your kitchen.
- Infrared technology for faster and more efficient cooking
- Small and compact design perfect for limited space
- Six auto cook menu presets
- Shade control options for your toast as well as temperature control
- Auto shut off feature for safety
- Smart sensor features keep food from burning or overcooking
- While the crumb tray is convenient, crumbs still get stuck on the rim below the door hinge, making clean up more difficult
- No broil feature. Lacks some of the cooking options other toaster ovens have
- It is recommended that you don’t keep the kitchen appliance plugged in when not in use
Cuisinart TOB 260n1 Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven
The Cuisinart TOB 260n1 Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven is a spacious 0.95 cubic foot capacity oven capable of fitting a 13-inch pizza or 9×13″ baking pan. It has an impressive 15 cooking functions to choose from, including innovative dual cook and speed convection heating.
The digital controls make this toaster oven easy to use. It has a large blue backlit display and LED buttons. It also comes equipped with a convenient auto-slideout rack and interior light.
With its advanced heating and cooking technology, you can achieve evenly toasted food and consistent results. There is also a programmable pizza size selection for more precise heating times and temperature control based on the diameter of your pizza.
The cooking functions and exact heat sensor of this toaster oven also calibrate the five quartz heating elements of the oven so you can achieve optimal settings for each function you choose to use.
Some of the functions of this countertop oven include toast, bagel, waffle, keep warm, bake, broil, roast, pizza, leftovers, sandwich, and defrost, making this a versatile kitchen appliance you can use to take care of several of your food needs.
The dual cook function lets you run two different temperature levels consecutively. The +30 seconds option allows you to add thirty seconds to any function you use during the cooking or toasting process.
- Extra-large capacity for bigger food options like frozen pizza
- Speed convection for much faster cooking times and more consistent heating
- Convection setting can be turned on at any time and requires no preheating
- Interior features include an oven light and non-stick coating
- Includes several accessories, including two oven racks, broiling pan, removable crumb tray, 13-inch pizza stone, and recipe booklet
- The knobs on this model seem of a lesser quality compared to previous models and may not last as long
- The convection setting can be loud and can run a bit hotter than expected
WEESTA Air Fryer Toaster Oven
If you have been on the hunt for an air fryer toaster oven combo, then look no further. The WEESTA air fryer toaster oven just may be what checks all your boxes. This is a 5-in-1 convection oven with air fry, roast, toast, broil, and bake functions. It can cook a whole chicken up to 6 pounds, a 9-inch pizza, a pound of frozen French fries, two pounds of chicken wings, and four slices of bread.
With this air fryer toaster combo, you will have your food cooked up to 50 times faster than a traditional oven, and it won’t heat the entire kitchen. You do not have to flip your food or preheat the toaster oven before use.
There is a pre-installed crumb tray in the drawer at the bottom part of the oven. There are seven total heating elements, including six heating tubes and one heating fan. You can check on your food at any time with the oven light. And since it is considered a larger capacity toaster oven, there are three tray positions you can use to cook more food at one time.
The non-stick material on the device’s interior is easy to clean, and the setting knobs are easy to use. With the convection fan, you can air fry in just a couple of minutes and ensure a more evenly cooked meal.
- Easy to clean non-stick material
- Large 19-quart capacity which is ideal for larger families
- Double glass door locks the heat in and keeps the temperature much more stable
- Be careful when pulling the racks out, as the back can dip when it is pulled out too far. The grooves for the trays do not go all the way back
- May cook food at a higher temperature than expected
Which do you think is the best toaster oven?