Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
Looking for the best dough scraper? We’ve got you covered.
A fantastic dough scraper can be a game changer when it comes to baking bread.
But what is a dough scraper and why do you need one?
Read on to discover why having one in your kitchen arsenal is a decision you won’t regret…
- 1 What is a Dough Scraper?
- 2 Best Material for Dough Scrapers
- 3 The Best Dough Scrapers
- 3.1 Lamson Dough Scraper
- 3.2 Indigo True Flexible Bowl Scraper
- 3.3 Spring Chef Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper
- 3.4 AmazonBasics Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Bench Scraper & Chopper
- 3.5 Chef Craft Set of 2 Plastic Bowl and Dough Scrapers, Curved and Straight Edge
- 3.6 Chef’n Pastrio 3-in-1 Bench Scraper Set
- 3.7 Fox Run 6060 Dough/Bowl Scraper
- 3.8 Norpro Grip-EZ Scraper/Chopper
- 3.9 Dexter-Russell – Sani-Safe White Dough Cutter/Scraper
- 3.10 Utopia Kitchen – Stainless Steel Dough Scraper Chopper
What is a Dough Scraper?
Also known as a pastry scraper or bench knife, a dough scraper is a simple yet indispensable tool with a blunt edged rectangular blade made from metal, rubber, nylon or plastic.
It’s roughly the size of a postcard and has a multitude of uses that save you time and hassle.
Not only can a dough scraper be used to effortlessly lift, turn, and work dough on your work surface, it can also be used for cutting butter into flour, scraping dough out of mixing bowls, getting dough unstuck from the work surface without tearing, cutting dough into even portions (the best dough scrapers have a ruler on the edge), and transferring delicate pastries and cookies to a baking sheet — and all without getting dough stuck to your fingers.
When you’ve finished your prep using a dough scraper is the easiest way to clean up any mucky bits of flour or dough left behind on your worktop.
Once you start using your dough scraper you’ll discover that it has all sorts of other uses too.
Try it out for smoothing icing, crushing garlic or chopping nuts, easing a lasagne away from the sides of a baking dish and slicing it vertically into equal portions, or making chocolate curls.
Here’s a handy video on how to use these useful products:
Best Material for Dough Scrapers
The most popular dough scrapers are made from either plastic or metal, but out of the two, which is best?
Metal dough scrapers
Metal dough scrapers have a thin, straight edge which makes them perfect for cutting vertically through rolled dough to create things like brownies, fudge, or scones.
They usually have a ruler on either one or two edges which is just so practical for cutting dough directly to size.
Made from stainless steel they are easy to clean and very durable, and they have a handle running all the way along the top edge for a comfortable non-slip grip.
Their fine edge means they can also be used for other things in place of a knife, such as chopping herbs, fruits, or nuts.
Being made from stainless steel, metal dough scrapers shouldn’t be used for scraping non-stick surfaces.
They are also rectangular in shape without a curved edge and fairly rigid, so aren’t ideal for scraping dough out of mixing bowls.
Plastic dough scrapers
Many plastic dough scrapers come with both a flat edge and a curved edge, meaning they can be used for cutting dough and scraping as well as mixing dough and then scraping it straight out from the bowl.
Being plastic they are safer to use on non-stick surfaces, as well as being more flexible than metal.
Because they don’t have a handle, plastic dough scrapers are less easy grip than metal versions, and greasy fingers can slip more easily.
They are also a little messier to use, are less durable than stainless steel, and are also not much good for cutting anything other than dough as they are not sharp enough.
Best Shape for Dough Scrapers
Dough scrapers with a curved edge are ideal for scraping batter or dough out of a mixing bowl, but may be less effective at cutting and scraping work surfaces, so it really comes down to what you most want out of your dough cutter.
The Best Dough Scrapers
Can’t wait to get your hands on a dough scraper? Try one of these top rated bad boys on for size…
Made by one of the most long standing cutlery and kitchen tools companies in the USA, the Lamson Dough Scraper is made from sturdy tempered stainless steel and features a durable natural walnut handle fixed with stylish brass rivets.
The blade measures 3” by 6” and is ideal for turning, mixing, and cutting all kinds of dough as well as scraping down work surfaces.
It is also sharp enough to be used for cutting and chopping other foods such as nuts and herbs.
- Classic design
- Very high quality
- Heavy duty
- Comfortable grip
- Comes with lifetime guarantee against defects
- Must be washed by hand
- No ruler markings
Make sure you get every last drop of dough out of your mixing bowl with the Indigo True Flexible Bowl Scraper.
Made from a super flexible plastic, the 6.4 x 4 inch blade is specially contoured to fit the shape of any bowl, features a bevelled edge to ensure you leave nothing behind, and is easy to grip.
- Very effective – makes scraping bowls easy
- Comfortable to hold
- Fits any size mixing bowl
- Dishwasher safe
- Great when working with sticky dough
- Not very versatile – can only be used for scraping bowls
- Too flexible for some uses
The large, firm stainless steel blade of the Spring Chef Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper/Bench Scraper Chopper is marked with a handy ruler allowing measurements of up to 6 inches in length — it’s also sharp, which means that this dough scraper doubles up as an excellent chopper for other foods.
The handle is easy to grip, and there is a silicone bowl scraper included as part of the package – so all your bases are covered!
- Very versatile set
- Allows for precisely measured cuts
- Easy to clean
- Good quality
- Comes with lifetime warranty
- Some people find the plastic handle a little flimsy
- Handle is longer than the blade
A bargain at the low price, the Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Bench Scraper & Chopper by AmazonBasics has everything you need in a dough scraper.
The 6 inch wide stainless steel blade is made from stainless steel and has square corners, meaning that you can make a perfect cut every time.
It also features useful measurement marks along the edge for extra precision when cutting portions.
The handle is non slip and easy to grip, and the whole thing can be safely washed in the dishwasher when you’re done.
- Affordable price
- Dishwasher safe
- Comfortable handle
- Sturdily made
- Sharp enough to also be used for chopping soft foods
- Gives a precise cut
- Blade could be sharper for better chopping
- Blade is too thick for making extremely precise cuts
Both the scrapers in this 2 scraper set are made from firm yet flexible nylon, and benefit from both straight and curved bevelled edges.
They can be used for scraping dough out of the mixing bowl, scraping counter tops when it comes to cleaning up, and mixing and cutting dough.
Both scrapers are 5.75 inches wide and 3.75 inches high.
- Good quality
- Very easy to clean
- Won’t scratch delicate surfaces
- Nylon blade wears down over time
- Not rigid or sharp enough for some bakers
The perfect addition to any kitchen, this 3 tool scraper set from Chef’n Pastrio includes everything you need for effortless dough making.
The 6 inch wide stainless steel scraper with measurement guide is perfect for making sharp, precise cuts, whilst the rectangular plastic scraper can be used for scraping and cutting on more delicate surfaces without the risk of scratching.
The curved plastic bowl scraper is designed to contour to almost any bowl to get every last scrap of dough.
- Great set of 3 different dough scrapers to suit every kind of job
- Set nests together for easy storage
- Can be used on a variety of surfaces
- Dishwasher safe
- Bowl scraper could be slightly more flexible
- Can be tricky to pull apart again having been slid together for storage
Made from bright red flexible silicone, this dough scraper is specially designed to conform to the shape of your mixing bowl to enable you to mix dough perfectly and turn it out without leaving anything behind.
It’s also heat resistant and dishwasher safe.
- Well made and good quality
- Practical size
- Conforms well to almost any mixing bowl
- Dough doesn’t stick to the scraper
- Convenient thumb hole for added support and better grip
- Not ideal for using left handed
- A little too stiff for some people
This versatile stainless steel scraper features a built in measuring guide and a 6 by 4 inch blade with 90 degree corners for a clean cut.
The handle is constructed from santoprene to provide a soft and comfortable non-slip grip.
It’s dishwasher safe and perfect for scraping work surfaces, chopping, transferring ingredients, and cutting and portioning dough evenly.
- Sharp enough to chop vegetables and meats as well as dough
- Practical and comfortable handle that is easy to grip
- Good quality and durable
- Useful measurements along the cutting edge
- Easy to clean
- Blade is very sharp, so care must be taken when using it
- Corners are sharp and may catch on chopping surfaces
Designed with professional chefs in mind, the Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe Dough Cutter/Scraper features a hygienic polypropylene handle which is textured for extra good grip, temperature resistant, and with no gap between the handle and the blade to prevent bacterial growth.
The 6 by 3 inch blade is made from high quality stainless steel with a super sharp edge perfect for cutting.
This product is manufactured in the USA.
- Due to the handle design it can lie almost flat for easier scraping or scooping
- Sharp blade is excellent for cutting
- Comfortable to hold
- Heavy duty and durable
- No measuring guide
- No bevelled edge on the blade
Having 2 dough scrapers is even better than one as you can use one to clean the other, so it’s fortunate that the Stainless Steel Dough Scraper by Utopia Kitchen comes in a double pack!
Both scrapers have a 6 inch wide, bevel edged, stainless steel blade complete with measurement guide in inches, and an ergonomic non-slip handle.
- Sturdy and well made
- Easy to clean
- Good value for money
- Safe, comfortable grip
- Sharp blade, so good for cutting
- Bevelled edge blade can sometimes dent or get rough with use
- May rust if washed in dishwasher
Which do you think is the best dough scraper?